Tuesday, March 17, 2009

NYC Mass Transit Workers Must Have Wings

Roosevelt Tram crossing the East River
You have to keep your eyes open at all times in New York City and be ready for a quick double take. There is a Tram that crosses the East River from Manhattan into Roosevelt Island and back.

I see the tram on a daily basis and it is an impressive site. It rises 250 feet over the East River and runs more than a hundred times each day.

Like anything else, you get used to seeing it. However, on one particular morning, there was something different and I almost missed it.

My peripheral vision picked up the tram, I took a quick glance and continued to go about my day. My mind told me what I had seen, but somehow, I nearly chose to ignore it.

I looked up this time and registered four men walking along the top of the moving car. The car is moving at a pretty good clip and the men on top of the car are causing it rock back and forth as they walk across the roof.

I’m sure they were up there in some type of official capacity. The tram operator who pilots the vessel back and forth had to know they were there.

But these guys are sashaying back and forth over this pitching piece of tin suspended hundreds of feet in the air like they were in a kiddy pool.

You see a great deal of window washers and construction people in New York City, but this was more akin to a vampire movie where these guys could jump off at any time and fly safely to the ground.

I couldn’t see any hooks clinging to these guys, so I can only assume that mass transit employees in New York City have either made peace with their makers well in advance or actually are actually hiding a sweet pair of wings underneath their jackets.

1 comment:

  1. They are maintenance personnel for the Tram and they were probably being transported from one tower to another. Usually they do wear harnesses even if you did not see them. Although I can't say for sure if they are worn all the time.

    The following is not a picture of the workers on the Tram but within the towers:

    http://rooseveltisland360.blogspot.com/2008/08/caged-bungee-jumping-dont-think-so.html

    ReplyDelete